Friday, June 01, 2007

The place I ought not be

I'm flying to California next week to visit my family. California is a beautiful state in some places and I recommend visiting, if you know where to go. Do not go, however, to Antioch, regardless of what this video tells you.

What they don't tell you is that most of what they show you has been built in the last five years. When I was growing up Antioch was just a normal crappy little town. Now that part is just in the center, surrounded by hot, sterile concrete. Any part that looks pretty and scenic in that video is just yards away from a housing development and strip mall.
I am glad to see that the El Campanil Theater, where I saw movies like Ghostbusters 2 and My Girl, is no longer run by the evangelists who would do a Hell House play every halloween.
They also mention Black Diamond Mines, where my friend David's dad gave me my first beer when I was about eleven years old. He's dead now.
Just for fun, also check out this Police Department recruitment video. I once got grounded for saying "I smell bacon." while outside the police station.



You can hear a dispatcher say "behind the Regal" at one point, Regal being the multiplex movie theater. Behind it is where KC and I got stoned before seeing movies like Election and X-men. Good times.

One thing I'm looking forward to is visiting my grandparents. I think I'll get a picture with them this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't firget that "there's nothing wrong with drinking" when your underage...

...and that you shouldn't put your hands in your pockets while the police are questioning you

and always, always, pet her off a 40