Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Outa Tha Loop

A friend recently posted the chart-topping songs from the year he turned 18. I decided to use his resource, popculturemadness.com, to see just how "with it" I am.
First, I looked at the top songs from 1981, the year I was born, then compared them to last year's hits. Here's what I got:


1981
-December 27, 1980 - January 30, 1981: (Just Like) Starting Over John Lennon
It's John Lennon! Of course it's good! I mean, I always said if the Beatles hadn't done it (revolutionized music) someone else would have, but the fact is they did, and I rarley hear a Lennon song I dislike.
-January 31 - February 6: The Tide Is High Blondie
In High School, My sister got me a cassette of the Best of Blondie. (This was one of the first times I saw a cool side of her. Another was when she dressed up as John Coltrane for Halloween. My folks made her take that make-up off post-haste!)This was a song that stuck out as one of my favorites. I get a little sad when I hear it now because of the opening credits of Longtime Companion, and it always makes me think of AIDS.
-February 7 - February 20: Celebration Kool & The Gang
Anyone who ever went to an adolecent dance after this came out has heard this song.
-February 21 - March 6: 9 to 5 Dolly Parton
Woo-Hoo! Dolly? Lilly? Dabney? Rad!..but that's just the movie. This song is pretty catchy, though, and similar to Lennon, Dolly rarley disapoints.
-March 7 - March 20: I Love A Rainy Night Eddie Rabbitt
I don't particularly like this song, but I DO love rainy nights.
-March 21 - March 27: Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether I like a song or not anymore, but I can sing along with the chorus when I hear it on Muzak
-March 28 - April 10: Rapture - Blondie
And now you're in the man from Mars, you go out at night, eating cars...
-April 11 - May 1: Kiss On My List - Hall & Oates
Catchy
-May 2 - May 15: Morning Train (Nine To Five) - Sheena Easton
Fun
-May 16 - July 17: Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Awesome
-July 18 - July 24: Medley - Stars on 45
I don't know this. I guess they did a lot of medleys, but I dont know which one this is
-July 25 - July 31: The One That You Love - Air Supply
Had to look it up because if it's Air Supply there's a good chance I knew it, but didn't know it's them. I don't know it.
-August 1 - August 14: Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
Another Muzak favorite.
-August 15 - October 16: Endless Love - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
Dont know this one, either
-October 17 - November 6: Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) - Christopher Cross
Or this one
-November 7 - November 20: Private Eyes - Hall & Oates
I can still hear Nina Blackwood trying to sell them on an 80's CD comp infomercial.
-November 21, 1981 - January 29, 1982: Physical - Olivia Newton-John
Never saw Xanadu (I'm the world's worst fag), but I LOVE this song (ok, mybe not the worst)

Now let's see what I have to say about the 2006 hits:
2006
January 7 - January 13: Don't Forget about Us - Mariah Carey
Never heard of it
January 14 - January 20: Laffy Taffy - D4L
Never heard of it
January 21 - February 3: Grillz - Nelly featuring Paul Wall, Ali and Gipp
Never heard of it
February 4 - March 10: Check on It - Beyoncé featuring Slim Thug
Never heard of it
March 11 - March 17: You're Beautiful - James Blunt
I finally recognize a song and it's THAT one?!
March 18 - March 31: So Sick - Ne-Yo
Never heard of it
April 1 - April 7: Temperature - Sean Paul
Never heard of it
April 8 - May 12: Bad Day - Daniel Powter
Heard it. It sounded like it came out in 1995.
May 13 - June 2: SOS - Rihanna
Never heard of it
June 3 - June 16: Ridin' - Chamillionaire featuring Krayzie Bone
Never heard of it
June 17 - June 30: - Hips Don't Lie Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean
Never heard of it
July 1 - July 7: Do I Make You Proud Taylor Hicks
Never heard of it
July 8 -August 19: Promiscuous Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland
Never heard of it
August 19 - September 8: London Bridge Fergie
Never heard of it
September 9 - October 27th: SexyBack Justin Timberlake
Ok, I've heard this one, but not enough to get sick of it. I don't really like Timberlake, but I have nothing against him.
October 28 - November 10th: Money Maker Ludacris featuring Pharrell
Never heard of it
December 2 - December 15: I Wanna Love You Akon featuring Snoop Dogg
Never heard of it
December 16 - February 23 2007: Irreplaceable Beyoncé
Never heard of it

So, I think it's safe to say that I am completley out of the loop. I don't really care, the loop seems to like shitty music.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...1981...my exit/entrance year as well
so
with the exception of endless love

(i do know this one, and it's pretty much middle of the road for a Diana Ross song--could be better could be worse...*i think* it's about Marvin Gaye but not sure)

e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e thing you have posted i can agree with..."Maury I am 180% certain that..."

I do not know one song from the hits of today except the ones that you also seemed to know and truthfully, i wouldn't know sexyback if it weren't for you...as far as Justin? He's pretty nice...(remember, I did meet him after all)

as far as James Blunt? well...this is a blunt, because all my friends say i am blunt

think about it

Keith said...

You know, I was supposed to "pass on" the assignment, or meme as the hip computer kids call it, and you and Jeremy were my targets. But then I forgot.

I've heard "Hips Don't Lie" (Shakira) and "Promiscuous" (Nelly Furtado) ; you're not missing out on much though the latter is pretty funky.

Earl Cootie said...

I don't have to look up the songs from the year I turned 18, because that, evidently, is the year that you were born. Except for the two by Blondie, I hated all those songs from 1981, even the John Lennon one. Some of them don't bother me so much now. And I'm not in the loop with today's hits, but then I didn't expect that I would be.