Tuesday, September 18, 2007

goodbye girls


Not too long ago, I posted a video about my friend/coworker Chelsea. Well, she's no longer a coworker, she quit last week. I am pretty bummed about it for a lot of reasons, but think it's for the best for a lot of other reasons. I realized that Chelsea is that last of the girls to leave my work. In the last few months four of the girls I close the store with have left, mostly for school. I still have Betsy, but she doesn't close with me very much. Now it's a total sausage party, and not in the cool way.
I had a nice balance of guy friends and girl friends at work. There are certainly some conversations I had with the girls, especially Chelsea, that I wouldn't have with the guys. I'm also worried that the machismo at that place will go through the roof. The guys who run it are already sexists. Oh, well, there is some good news...

Winter is coming! As I walked to work in the rain yesterday I felt the excitement of the seasons changing. I love fall and winter and today I could smell it. Not just that rainy smell but something more, something that says "It's going to be cold! Cuddle and be hugged!" Another reason I love it...work will be slow. I have already been doing crosswords and drawing on beer boxes and reading magazines to pass the time. Today, in Adbusters, I found a poem that I actually like! I'll post it here, dedicated to Chelsea.


Goodbye
I do not wish to be led down the garden path.
Why the offended look?
I have seen beauty in those petals,
marvelled at how they glisten
softly
in the morning dew.
But now dusk threatens
And I do not wish to go.

-Sophie McKeand

No comments: