Friday, June 08, 2007

oy

I always talk shit about California, but deep down I kind of thought it was just me being my usual pessimistic, cynical self. I say that I will never move back there, no matter what. I just got back from visiting my parents there not two hours ago and I have to say...it's worse than I thought. I don't want to go back ever, not even to visit my family.
The disgusting black hole that is Antioch is crammed with chain restaurants, super stores and cookie-cutter homes with no yards. It is convenience disguised as luxury, catering to people who cannot live within their means. There is not the slightest indication of any sort of culture whatsoever.
Yes there were good parts about my visit, and the first two days were fun, but the last two caused me some great anxiety, enough for me to have to go outside for air when I went to lunch with my mother. Perhaps I'll write about the good stuff (and more bad stuff) later, but now I'm venting.
If my folks want to see me again, they can come visit me here. We can go to eat at a place they think is too expensive, they can tell me how senile my grandparents are getting and what a handful my (adult)siblings are, and they can politley pretend I don't have a boyfriend.
I missed you , Seattle. You are my home.

No comments: