Tuesday, February 13, 2007

NO, really, I'm NOT your friend!

I've dealt with my fair share of crazies. There was the guy who I worked with in the cash office of a WalMArt who didn't like to be touched, would swat at imaginary flies, and mutter things at me like "Don't look at me, fag." There was the constantly-talking-to-himself hobo Sapphire in Arcata, CA who became an active member of the community trying to put together a homeless task force(go to the link to read his enlightening speech at a town meeting.)At my job now, there's the guy who is rude to everyone, save a select few people. I am not one of them. I don't' know how he picks his friends. He comes in and says "Woo-Hoo!" to announce his presence, sometimes laughs to himself a lot, and once bit one of our baggers on the shoulder. There's also a woman who comes in and loudly insists that our produce guy sing with her. Usually songs no one has ever heard of.

Now, of course, we have a new one. The lady from the previous post. She came in again tonight. My coworker, Seth, had already had the lights in the vestibule and on the readerboard turned off. I'm standing at a register, discussing with the girl who was checking that night whether anyone else was coming in (I'd seen the silhouette of a car door opening outside). She hates late customers with a passion, and she REALLY doesn't like this lady. When she came in, I think both of our stomachs sunk. The woman looked all serious and said "You know...you know, you really shouldn't turn the lights out...if you're not closed,three or four minutes early..." Something like that. I look at the clock and say "Actually it's one minute after ten." I'm not sure what happened exactly after that because I was doing what I had learned to do with crazies in the past, even in a customer service position...IGNORE THEM.

Here's what I do know. She said something about it being our civic duty to honor the hours we post, Seth says we have the right to refuse service to anyone, she gets more upset, Seth points out that he let her in and didn't say she couldn't, she keeps at it, starts crying because her mom is dying or something...I eventually ring her up because the cashier girl had left. She actually wanted to stay and listen, but I made her leave. While she's at the checkstand she's talking about the dark souls on the astral plane that are causing her all this trouble, and that with our clocks, we need to "get with the twentieth century." I hastily made my way to the back to get the mop, leaving Seth to his own people-dealing devices. Upon leaving I hear her say "Pardon me for being a Virgo." Look, I'm all for spirituality. I'm agnostic, so I'm open to all kinds of it. Astrology, Catholicism, it all interests me. But I know spirituality and then I know crazy. Seth later told me that he had to keep telling her to leave, but she was saying things like "I'm so confused right now," and wouldn't move. This woman was obviously dealing with some other issue and projected them all on us. She's just crazy, and I will avoid her like the plague.
Oh, she also kept mentioning talking to a manager. God, I really hope she does. My boss will totally have our backs.

No comments: