Sunday, October 28, 2007

work tales

This woman,a regular customer who always comes in with her elderly mother, was in the store tonight and while i was bagging her groceries, she grabbed the Robitussin that she was purchasing and said "I think I'll try this now." She opened the package and took a sip. Then another. I helped her and her mother out to the car. Trying to be friendly I asked the old woman if she was ready for Halloween. A blank stare followed by an "I guess." I honestly didn't expect more than that. The woman always talked about her mom as if she wasn't there or was deaf or something, and I just wanted her to feel noticed.
As I walked to the car, and even after I had loaded the groceries into the car, I saw that the woman had not stopped sipping the Robitussin. Right before she got in the car she said "This doesn't taste very good." She kept sipping the bottle as she got in the car. I'm sure it was gone by the time she got home.

No comments: