Thursday, March 15, 2007

Passions Pissed part 3: Gay Chad

This story line is actually one of the lesser offenses, in fact it’s not a problem at all, but I just wanted to write about it.

As soon as Chad and Whitney discovered that they weren’t brother and sister, Chad was revealed to be having an affair. I mean, like a week later. It really put me off that after insisting for YEARS that they could be together somehow, Chad goes and gets a mistress as soon as he is able. I thought that they should have let the couple baste in their nuptial bliss for a little while before having more drama thrown at them. There was some major trauma suffered by Whitney when she thought she had been impregnated by her brother, so much that she joined a convent and began whipping herself. While it is the nature of a soap opera to keep its characters in constant misery, the misfortune of a cheating husband would have been more effective if the relationship was allowed to solidify. But, seeing as how the show doesn’t have much longer to go, I suppose it’s for the best after all.

When it was revealed that Chad was having an affair, his lover was never shown on screen. I never considered it to be a homosexual relationship until much later when they showed just the body of the person in heavily layered clothing and gloves, from the neck down of course. That’s when I suspected it was a dude, as well as which dude on the show it was. Because I work while the show is on, and have been otherwise occupied on my days off (my man, my drinks, my comics), it wasn’t until my rather slow mind realized that I could watch the episodes online that I saw the relationship between Chad and Vincent in full swing.

What I like about this story and these characters is that no one is holding back. The characters don’t hint at things, they discuss everything matter-of-factly even if they are having the love vs. sex argument all the time. And the show has not shied away from showing them in the throws of passion, which Vincent has, of course, videotaped. While nothing on this show is ever realistic, this is still one of the best gay story lines on a soap opera I’ve seen. I do have a question, though…
Why are all the gay people on Passions black?
Next: The Death of Beth-Everybody loves crazy

I promise to write about something else, soon. Probably something about the viaduct.

No comments: